Feedback and complaints

Feedback and complaints

Take action! A Guide to health complaints and feedback in the ACT

Health care in Canberra is usually very safe and high quality. But things can go wrong, even in the best health services.

Your feedback, complaints, or compliments can help improve health care for everyone.

You have a right to make a complaint or give feedback. This can:

  • Help fix the problem
  • Stop it happening again
  • Make health care better for everyone

When you make a complaint or give feedback:

  • Your concerns must be addressed in a transparent, timely way
  • It must not negatively affect the way you are treated
  • You have a right to share your experience to improve the quality of health care

You have these rights wherever you get health care.  They are part of the Australian Charter of Health Care Rights.

We have worked with consumers and service providers to develop some resources to help you:

  • Decide if you want to give feedback or make a complaint,
  • Find advice and support, and
  • Work out what is the best action for your individual circumstances.

Take Action! Health complaints and feedback in the ACT

This Guide is made up of 6 Tip Sheets and a Directory. You can either download the complete guide, or each of the tip sheets separately.

If you just want the Tip Sheets, start with Tip Sheet 1. Take action! Health complaints and feedback in Canberra. It tells you about your options, whatever has gone wrong in your health care.

The other Tip Sheets have extra information about:

The Directory lists contact details for:

  • Organisations that can help you with a complaint or a problem in health care
  • The complaints and feedback processes of most hospitals and larger health services in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)

The Directory also has information about what to do if you, or someone you care about, is getting sicker while they are in hospital

Take Action! Mental health care complaints in the ACT

This Guide is made up of 6 Fact Sheets.

Fact Sheet 1. Is there a problem with your mental health care?

Fact Sheet 2. How to make a complaint about a mental health professional in the ACT

Fact Sheet 3. How to raise a concern about In-patient mental health care

Fact Sheet 4. Information for carers, nominated persons, family and friends

Fact Sheet 5. Advocacy – How to improve the mental health system in the ACT

Fact Sheet 6: Mental Health Complaints Matter

Canberra Health Services

Canberra Health Service has an online feedback form that we encourage people to use.

You can also contact the Consumer Feedback and Engagement Team by phone on (02) 5124 5932 or email [email protected] .

ACT Health Services Commissioner

The ACT Human Rights Commission handles complaints about health services in the ACT. It also deals with complaints relating to your health record.

Complaints related to health services are dealt with by the Health Services Commissioner, Karen Toohey. The Commissioner can deal with complaints about all health services provided in the ACT – public and private. This includes services provided at a hospital, general practice, or by any individual registered practitioners.

You can choose to make a complaint to the ACT Human Rights Commission via their online form or over the phone on 02 6205 2222.

If you have any questions about the complaint process or need help completing the form, you can talk to the intake team by phoning 6205 2222 or you can email your questions or concerns to [email protected].

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)

Not happy with the care you got from an individual health professional? You can also find information on making a complaint about an individual health professional by contacting the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).  Anyone can make a complaint or raise a concern about a registered health practitioner or student with AHPRA. If you’re concerned about the health, conduct or performance of a registered health practitioner or student, you can let AHPRA know via their website or by phoning 1300 419 495.

Making a complaint in New South Wales

If you would like to make a complaint or raise a concern about a registered health practitioner or student in NSW, contact:

You might also be interested in…

Canberra Health Literacy Articles


Canberra Health Literacy Pages


Canberra Health Literacy Websites


Canberra Health Literacy


Last Updated on 2 August, 2023.